POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playing Crysis : Playing Crysis Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Playing Crysis
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Feb 2009 13:56:52
Message: <498b3674$1@news.povray.org>
So I spent the entire afternoon playing Crysis.

My God... it's... breathtaking! O_O

I literally cannot believe my PC is actually rendering this stuff in
realtime! It's kinda laggy - and oddly this doesn't appear to change if
I turn the graphics settings up or down, so I'm guessing the CPU is the
bottleneck. (They recommend a faster CPU than what I have.)

FarCry was a pretty amazing game, although it clearly was a "game". Even
with all settings to maximum, it was clearly a computer-generated
environment with lots of crafty use of polygons and texturing.

Crysis is the same, except... woooooaaaaahh! Hell, I've seen people try
to make grass look this good with POV-Ray and not really succeed. Damn.
This stuff is *mental*! O_O

Now, if I could just figure out how to play the game... ;-)

Seriously, I'm loving the funky suits we all get to wear. Whoever
designed that thing... awesome! And I figured out that there's several
different modes to it, and I'm slowly discovering what all the HUD
elements mean. But I'm still puzzled as to how to survive the game.

All the weapons I have seem completely ineffective. Every time I meet an
enemy, I get cut to pieces before I can do any real damage. The weapons
just don't seem to work from more than point-blank range. I did try
using the cloak mode to get close, but you can only walk about 10 paces
before the cloak runs out.

I have, however, discovered that sometimes the simplest way to get past
the enemy is to just run. Speed mode seems to do that quite well.

As yet, I have no idea what on earth strength mode might be useful

PS. I also love the way that all the weapons you can pick up look
*completely identical*, so you can't tell them apart. That's really helpful.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/